Bright Area Business Association- January 9, 2015 Meeting Minutes
8:05am: Meeting start and intro/greeting by new President, Greg Gronwall
- Pledge of Allegiance
- Thank you to Bebe Kinnett for 4 years of service as President and website development, maintenance, hosting, etc.
- Happy Birthday Jim Kinnett
- Approval of December Minutes; – all “yay”
Dan Cross- Treasurer’s Report
- 2014 YTD Total Revenue and Support: $24,006
- Net Assets: $7,949.30
- Net Assets available: $4,529.30
- Please contact Dan with questions/concerns
- 501 C-3: Formal submission of application; determination letter needed for many corporation donations to BABA. Became incorporated 1/7/15 at a cost of $26.00. $400.00 fee to file with the IRS.
- New visitors/Members: Michael Ames (Work One), Tom Snapp (Register Publications).
- Announcements/Accomplishments: Bright FD- 950 Emergency responses in 2014, 2nd largest FD in Dearborn County (in responses), overall improvement in response-times.
- Bright Beacon- Congrats on being named the Sunman Chamber Business of the Year
Vice-President: Jim Mansfield- no new business
- Please continue to share, not just like FB posts. This increases BABA’s social-media exposure
Membership Committee: Mike Ames, Matt Davis (Chair), Terry Hahn, Diane Bender (payments, etc.).
Programs- Celeste Cavallo: Beacon as Golf Outing Platinum Sponsor
- Speaker line-up: February- Mark Graver; IVY Tech Pres., March- Todd Listernman; Dearborn County Engineer to discuss road-work in Bright, April- Field Trip to Dale’s farm to see the cattle “From birth to burgers” (Mr. Lutz’s words) Date TBA, May- After-hours at Trinity Dry Cleaners, June- Jud McMillan; legislative report (tentative)
- All confirmed dates and events are posted on www.brightareabusinesses.com
Festive- Diane Bender: no new business; keep basket donations in mind!
Golf Outing- Greg Gromwell: May 8th, 2015 at HVL
New Business- Membership pamphlet to be printed as a useful membership-blitz tool. Greg would like to update this, but needs help from volunteers. Bebe volunteered, but please suggest ideas.
- Motion to print at a $250 max made by Bebe Kinnett. Diane Bender to 2nd. “All yay”.
- Motion to print golf outing registrations at $300 max made by Greg Gromwell. Wayne Leslie to 2nd. “All yay”.
Website- Website needs to be freshened up. Outdated site is losing prominence on Google = reduced click count. Bebe Kinnett (Absolute Web Designs) provides hosting and most maintenance at no-charge; expenses for technician’s time and software licenses are billed at-cost.
Featured Speaker- Dan Cross, CPA/Cross Point Employment Services
- Some topics include: Payroll for new businesses, how to pay yourself legally, how to borrow legally from your own business, how to pay your spouse/children as employees, self-employment taxes, social security collection, IRS traps, trouble areas for small businesses, penalties, etc. Important: Per the IRS website, Dan announced that this discussion is not to be taken as accounting advice, and to be advised by your paid accountant for specific matters.
- Discussion of donating some money from Golf Outing to the Lions Club for their contribution of the building for our meetings.
- Don’t miss the Pancake Breakfast in March at the Lions Club to show your support. More info to come. Please consider joining.
Adjournment of meeting- Next Meeting Friday, February 13th, 2015. (Friday the 13th).
Author: Lori Enright, Eagle 99.3; BABA Co-Secretary